|The Value of Groundwater – symposium on 23 September 2015|
23 September 2015, Nieuwegein (NL) • The International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) Netherlands’ Chapter, the Netherlands Hydrological Society (NHV) and VVM, together with KWR Water, Deltares and IHP Belgium, are organizing a symposium on The Value of Groundwater (in Dutch). Very interesting speakers and free registration for members!
Venue: KWR Watercycle Research Institute, Groningerhaven 7, 3433 PE Nieuwegein
– Marcus Wijnen (Senior Water Resources Management Specialist, World Bank):
– Tanja Klip-Martin (dijkgraaf waterschap Vallei en Veluwe):
– Douwe Jonkers (Projectleider Structuurvisie Ondergrond, Ministerie van Infrastructuur en Milieu):
– Wim van Vierssen (directeur KWR en hoogleraar TU Delft), mede namens Maarten Smits (directeur Deltares):
– Ron Bohlmeijer (Water Stewardship coordinator, Heineken)
The lunch will be sponsored by IGRAC.
followed by a plenary discussion and drinks
Chair: Marc Bierkens (chair Netherlands Hydrological Society and Utrecht University)
Other can become a member or pay € 100 registration fee. Student rates apply.
Groundwater is a valuable resource primarily because:
The benefits that groundwater provides can be monetised in order to compare different benefits and to compare them with the costs of pollution or of enhancing the resource. Particular knowledge gaps are related to carbon sequestration, regulation of flood flow, prevention of subsidence, ecological impacts.